A safe place for kids
Since opening its’ doors in August of 2014, Aspire Indiana's child advocacy center, Kids Talk, has served over 850 children and their non-offending caregivers and uses a collaborative approach with various county agencies to serve and protect the children of Madison County. According to the Indiana Department of Child Services, Madison County has one of the highest rates of substantiated cases of child abuse and neglect per capita in Indiana. These types of crimes are extremely personal in nature and difficult for the victims to discuss. Like adults, child victims experience shame, fear, guilt and embarrassment. Getting a child to overcome these emotions and trust an adult enough to share their experience can be difficult. However talking about it is the first step to providing safety and healing for the child.
Kids Talk conducts child-friendly forensic interviews in a safe and comforting environment with children who are reported to have been victims of sexual or physical abuse, neglect or who have witnessed violent crimes. A collaborative approach is used to serve and protect the children of Madison County. Our team includes members from law enforcement, Department of Child Services, the prosecutor’s office, mental health, healthcare and victim advocates. Our emphasis is on putting the needs of the child first and we do this by:
- Providing a safe and welcoming place for children to be heard
- Bringing the system to the child, by providing a single location for interviewing children
- Utilizing a certified, forensic interviewer who can meet the informational needs of all investigative professionals involved while remaining child-focused
- Facilitating a collaborative approach among agency investigative professionals that results in effective, efficient and child-centered casework
- Ensuring that parents or caregivers of the children are guided towards programs that will facilitate the healing process for the child and family
In an effort to increase awareness in our community and raise much-needed funds for staffing and supplies, Kids Talk holds an annual event called Stand Up for Kids! It's a night of clean comedy for a very serious cause. This year's headliner stars Jeff Caldwell and features Shawn Reynolds, plus our very first Amateur Comedy Competition featuring local dignitaries Judge Thomas Newman, Jr. Elwood Mayor Todd Jones, Community Hospital President & CEO Beth Tharp, Madison County Chief Deputy Prosecutor Steve Koester, and Aspire Indiana’s Chief Operating Officer Barbara Scott. We'll also have hors d'oeuvres, drinks, and a silent auction so join us in supporting our second annual Stand Up for Kids! event at the Paramount Theatre Ballroom in downtown Anderson, IN on Saturday, September 10th. Our generous sponsors who make this event possible are Genoa a QOL Healthcare Company, St. Vincent Anderson Regional Hospital and Community Hospital Anderson.